Three elements helped my achilles
1) effective stretch and strengthening regime for my achilles tendon.
2) An understanding of the POSE running technique
3) Going barefoot.
This article is how to sort your Tendinosis in 8 weeks
I began using ice and , stretching,
Here are my two favourite stretches
but I also employed “eccentric loading exercises” ( the lowering part of a calf raise, for you body building type)
- Get the balls of your foot on a block or a step
- and use both feet (handsupport) to get you above the block.
- then lower down with the weight on the injured side.
- I found being on a staircase with a handrail helped me control the load.
Here is a handy “You Tube” clip
After that, it was 3 sets of 10 reps . How awful the pain is suggests the amount of load you can work with in the early stages.
This was inspired by some ideas from crossfitter Philip Holbrook ( and his physio) and this report….
Eccentric calf muscle training for the treatment of chronic achilles tendinosis
by Toros Tsermakian, Ioannis Mitsakis, Christos Lyrtzis, Ioannis Tsartsapakis, Menelaos Mitsakis, Christos Papadopoulos, and Georgios Nousios, who sort of observed/discovered the following
- Overuse injuries involving the Achilles tendon are common, especially among runners.
- The majority of Achilles tendon overuse injuries occur in men,
- higher rate in middle-aged athletes than do most other overuse injuries.
So, they studied the effect of eccentric calf muscle training in 18 athletes with chronic Achilles Tendinosis with a long duration of symptoms despite conventional nonsurgical treatment. Calf strength and the amount of pain during running was measured before and after the study.
At the start of the trail, all patients had Achilles tendon pain so sever that they could not run. There was also significantly lower calf muscle strength on the injured side.
At the end of the study. Almost everyone was cured. It bloody well worked for me.
for a fuller report visit here http://www.jssm.org/suppls/11/posterpresentations.pdf
- In the early stages i used ice after the exercise to help with the swelling.